How to buy a dehumidifier
In the field of air treatment, there are several types of devices are available, each having their specific function. When you have got problems with excessive humidity, a dehumidifier can offer a solution. In this article you will find interesting and useful information about the properties of a dehumidifier, as well as buying tips if you are planning to buy a humidifier.
Indoors the humidity in normally about 40 to 60%, wherein 50 to 55% is optimal. However, by influences of the weather, the heating and ventilation, the humidity can be much higher or lower. When the humidity in the house is above 60%, then this is considered too high. Good ventilation is, of course, a prerequisite for a healthy indoor climate, but when this does not work satisfactorily, a dehumidifier will can then be placed to achieve the desired result. When the humidity in the house is too high, it quickly creates a somewhat musty smell.
Effect of low humidity for man
If the indoor air humidity is lower than 40%, it is often not pleasant experience, and can lead to complaints.
For example if you fire a lot in the winter, the humidity in the room may fall properly which is not pleasant to stay in. You can then suffer from airways blocking, dry eyes, sore throat, dry skin and a dry nose. Also, wooden furniture and some musical instruments can be damaged by dry air because the wood shrinks. At that time, humidifier can provide a solution.
Why buy a dehumidifier
Excessive humidity in the home is not healthy for humans, and can cause all sorts of problems, including respiratory symptoms, allergies and joint problems. Also, the house itself and the interior also have to suffer. In a humid interior climate, fungus can easily develop. Incidentally, there are always certain spaces, such as a basement and bathroom, where humidity naturally often a little higher. Also, you can see that in many homes the humidity is often higher in the vicinity of the exterior walls and windows. The investment in a dehumidifier is particularly worthwhile when a living space such as a living room or bedroom is too humid.
The function of a humidifier
When the humidity in the house because it is too low, it will have a negative impact on the health of human beings. In certain situations, if the humidity in the house is low, a humidifier has the function to increase the humidity in the house and vice versa. The dehumidifier sucks relatively humid air which passes through a filter or evaporator, takes out moisture from it and then blows the dry air which is already warmed to room temperature out.
Characteristics and components of a dehumidifier
A dehumidifier has a number of features and components that enable the device to do its job well, such as:
- Since moisture is removed from the air, this needs to be collected in a so-called drip-tray. More expensive units, however, often have a drain that drains water collected from the humid air.
- There are many desiccant dust and debris removed from the collected air.
- A dehumidifier can obviously only do its job properly if it first determines the humidity of the air in the room.
- A dehumidifier has a moisture sensor, with which the sucked humid air is measured. If these humidistat note that the air is too humid, then the system enters into force which ensures that the air is dehumidified.
Types of humidifiers
There are two types of humidifiers that are distinguished by the way it works: the steam humidifier and the cold-water evaporator.
A steam humidifier includes a water tank, and this water is converted into steam in the steam section. This steam is released and thus increases the humidity. This method is very effective and has the advantage that no water droplets are dispersed there.
The cold water evaporator also has a water tank and has a fan that extracts dry air from the room. This dry air passes through a moistening filter and then the humid air is released into the space.
Considerations when buying dehumidifier
When you start looking for a dehumidifier, you should pay attention to the following points:
- What is the capacity of the dehumidifier, in other words, how many liters of water the dehumidifier can extract from the air in a certain period of time, which is usually set at 24 hours. It is preferable to choose a dehumidifier with a somewhat larger capacity than which is necessary. This brings out the moisture faster than and does not need to work hard, which saves energy.
- What is the energy consumption of the dehumidifier.
- The dehumidifier can be moved easily, so it can be used in several places in the house. You can watch the length of the cord.
- How easy to empty and clean the water tank.